Saturday, March 13, 2021

* Saved by truth!

 

Comments by Joan Boney:


On August 5, 1975, I was reading a book about sin and the Holy Spirit spoke these words to me:

" Joan ... you know all those mistakes you've been making all these years?  Those weren't mistakes.  Those were sins."

Sins?  I was shocked!

With that word I was born again.

James 1:18   Of HIS own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.


***

My mother loved horoscopes.  

When I was a child, we would go to town and she would buy the monthly horoscope magazine and read my horoscope to me daily.

After I was born again, I was visiting at her house and I opened the cabinet and saw a set of horoscope mugs which I had given her before I was born again.  

I began taking these mugs out of the cabinet and I put them into a plastic bag.  My mother was watching me as I did this.  

When she realized what I was about to do, she cried out:  "No ... what are you doing? I want to keep those.  You gave those to me."

I didn't say a word.  When the bag was filled, I went out the door, taking the bag to the alley.  I broke the mugs by hitting the bag on the side of the dumpster and then I threw them into the dumpster after they were broken.

I went back to the house and went to my bedroom and got my Bible and opened it and began reading the following passage of scripture aloud to my mother.

Deuteronomy 18

9 When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

My mother sat silent for a few moments and then she said, "Well ... I guess we'd better not do that any more."

She accepted the truth from God on the subject and was born again.

After I returned to Dallas, where I lived at that time, I received a letter from my uncle.  He said, "Your mother's changed.  She's really changed!"

***

II Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

*****