Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Learning to trust and depend upon The Holy Spirit.


Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet

When we have a scripture brought to our mind by the Holy Spirit, certainly we are excited about that scripture and should be.

It is good to keep that scripture before us day and night to build a root system in that instruction and also to enable us to do that scripture.

Joshua 1:8-9    This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

(Isn't it God who brought that scripture to our mind by the Holy Spirit?)

Fear might try to come into your heart saying,  "But what if I forget?"

If you understand the working of the Holy Spirit, you can rest in peace over that scripture for HE will  bring that scripture to your remembrance.

John 14:26     But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Scripture is like food.

When the food is fresh, it is very exciting.  Day two of eating left overs can be good.  Day three might still be nourishing to your body but maybe a little less interesting.  And there might be new food to add to your menu.  

We do want to build that root system with scripture and let it go down into our hearts.  But we can trust in God to bring that scripture to our attention by HIS Spirit for that is one of the things the Holy Spirit does.

***

When I was a new Christian in 1975, my best friend, a former Baptist, told me I needed to enroll in an organization called "Bible Memory Association," where you have a schedule to memorize scripture.

So she enrolled me.

I had to memorize one scripture a week.  Then recite that scripture at the end of the week to my "sponsor", to my best friend.  I suppose they sent some kind of certificate at the end of a period of time specified by them.

I found this incredibly difficult to do!

It seems like a good thing, but really it is man's way of going about learning scripture.

Donna and I knew nothing about the work of the Holy Spirit at that time.

I think God's way is this:  When a scripture is brought to your mind, that is likely the Holy Spirit doing that work.  Take that scripture and keep it before you day and night for several days or weeks or even months.  Do the instruction each time the Holy Spirit brings the scripture to your mind.  This builds a root system in you.

I found when I do that, there is no problem at all quoting that scripture for it comes from deep within me because I am living that scripture. 

Have no fear.  The Holy Spirit will remind you as needed.

The devil tries to make us afraid that we will not get everything.

Just put your trust in God.  HE will do it!


*****