Sunday, January 20, 2019

When Past Memories Come To Mind


Book:  Exhortations For The Church
Vol. 6, Chapter 26
Joan Boney ... apostle/prophet 


Sometimes memories of past will come to my mind.  When that happens, I often think of the children of Israel going through the Red Sea.  The walls of water were on their right hand and left hand and Pharaoh and his army of 600 chariots raced behind them to kill them or capture them and take them back into bondage. 

If they turned back they would be going back into the slavery of the past.

We can't go back ... the only way to go is forward.

When God brought them out of bondage of Egypt, we read the following.

Ex. 13 ... And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt: But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.

harnessed:  straps and fittings by which a horse is controlled by its driver.  (I thought of how we are controlled by scripture by the Holy Spirit and kept in the path of God by instruction from God by scripture.)


*****

God frees us but sometimes we think on the past and that causes us to become dissatisfied and to want to return to the past and often our memories of the past are even distorted and we think it was better than it really was.

The apostle Paul explained:

Phil. 3 ... Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded:



*****

We must control our minds.  If we think on past acts done by God that is fine.  We build ourselves up in the faith this way.  But if we think of fleshly things of past, we are in danger of destruction.

We must go forward with today, living today.  

Heb. 11 ... These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.  And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for HE hath prepared for them a city.


*****

It helps me to think of Pharaoh behind me and how destruction is upon me if I try to go back.  I straighten up my mind immediately and choose to go forward. 


*****

Sometimes bad memories of what I have done in past are brought to my mind.

When that happens it is very helpful to remember and review the following truth:

I Jn. 1:7 ... If we walk in the light, as HE is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ HIS Son cleanseth us from all sin.

It is not a matter of that done "yesterday" ... I am trying to walk today in the LIGHT of God and therefore the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses me of all sin.



*****

BOOK: Exhortations For The Church, Volume 6
Chapter 26

Joan Boney



E-book: $.99
Paperback: $5.99
(USA Prices)

Order from: Amazon.com


*****