Monday, June 24, 2019

Since we have the Holy Spirit, does God still use angels to lead us?


Joan Boney … apostle/prophet

Exodus 23:20-23   God says:  Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for MY name is in him.

But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries.

For mine Angel shall go before thee


***

Is this still true?  We now have the Holy Spirit to teach us all things, to remind us of all that Jesus has said, to guide us into all truth, to show us things to come  (John 14:26 & John 16:13)  … so does God still give us directions by angels today?

Is there any example in Bible where God uses an angel to direct those persons who have the Holy Spirit?


***


Peter and John ...

Acts 4:1-3   And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,  Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.  And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

5-6 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

15-21 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves, Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.


But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name. 

And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. 

But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.  For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. 

So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.

***

Acts 5:15-20   There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,  And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison. 

But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said, Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life. 

And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. 


***

We see God giving direction to Peter and John by an angel even though Peter and John had the Holy Spirit.

This certainly shows us the truth:  God uses angels to speak to us, the NT church, today even though we have the Holy Spirit in us to speak to us as God wills.


***

Acts 5:25-33  Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.

Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.

And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,  Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.

Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.  The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.  Him hath God exalted with His right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.  And we are His witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey HIM.

When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

Acts 5:40 ... and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.


***

There are other examples in New Testament.

Peter:

Acts 12:1-11   Now about that time Herod the king stretched forth his hands to vex certain of the church. And he killed James the brother of John with the sword. And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison.

And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.


And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me. 

And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him. 

And when Peter was come to himself, he said, Now I know of a surety, that the Lord hath sent HIS angel, and hath delivered me out of the hand of Herod, and from all the expectation of the people of the Jews. 

Both angels and the Holy Spirit speak and give directions to the people of God according to the will of God, but angels also perform mighty acts such as moving the huge rock that sealed the tomb after Jesus was crucified.  And we see in above scripture the angel of the Lord causing the chains to fall from Peter's hands and the prison gates to open.

***

Paul was a prisoner and was put with other prisoners aboard a ship.  Paul gave a warning telling them it would be dangerous if they continued to sail and advised them to winter in the harbor.

Acts 27:9-11    Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them,  And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives. 

Nevertheless the centurion believed the master and the owner of the ship, more than those things which were spoken by Paul.

At first the weather was good, but then turned bad. They were in grave danger.

Acts 27:20-25    And when neither sun nor stars in many days appeared, and no small tempest lay on us, all hope that we should be saved was then taken away.

But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.

And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.
 

For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve,  Saying, 
Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. 

Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.

Again we see God choosing to communicate by an angel of God with a person in NT who had the Holy Spirit. 

***

Example of God speaking to the apostle John by an angel ... 

Revelation 1:1-2    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and HE sent and signified it by HIS angel unto his servant John:  Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

(Angels look like men.)

***

I, Joan Boney, have my own testimony concerning an angel of the Lord speaking to me to give me direction.

January 10, 1980,  I was asleep in the night, when a loud trumpet-like voice blew three words into my ear.  "Hartford, Seattle, KWJS"

I awoke immediately, got out of bed, and wrote KWJS on a notepad, not wanting to mix-up these letters which seemed obvious to me to be call letters to either radio or television.

It was a Christian radio broadcasting station.

I said to God:  "Are YOU showing me to go on radio.  I wouldn't know how to do that.  I'm a writer, not a speaker!"

Immediately, the following words came to my mind:

"Call the radio station manager."

I knew this instruction to be the voice of God spoken through the Holy Spirit.  

(The Holy Spirit teaches us all things.  John 14:26 ... The initial words which awoke me came from without me and were blown into my ear.  I believe this was an angel speaking.  These later instructions, came from within... The Holy Spirit in me speaking the will of God and truth to me showing me how to do that which the angel of God instructed me to do.)

The radio station manager told me to make an audition tape, which I did make that same morning, and mailed it to him.

I was broadcasting exhortations to the church on radio station KWJS within about 3 days.

I had never heard a Christian type radio broadcast before then nor since.  I just followed, what I believed to be the Spirit of God, and began speaking into my tape recorder.

The broadcasts were never edited by me or by anyone else during the 4 years I was on radio.  God showed me just to turn on the recorder and speak what I heard from HIM by the Holy Spirit bringing scriptures and examples to my mind.

This is also the way I spoke at my meetings for radio audience.  I planned nothing in advance.

And this is the way I write these exhortations on the blog and the books on Amazon.

I just take dictation from God by HIS Spirit.

Often I am surprised by the direction the message takes.

By the WORD given me, "Hartford, Seattle, KWJS," I believe faith was planted in my heart which caused me to go on additional radio stations, and within about a year, I was broadcasting coast to coast in the United States on stations from Hartford to Seattle, starting with KWJS.

I broadcast for the next 4 years.


***

What is the difference between the Holy Spirit speaking and an angel of the Lord speaking?  Both show us what to do.

The Holy Spirit comes from within, while the angel of the Lord comes from without.

Both speak the messages from God and that is what really matters.

(Also note that angels can do exceptional physical feats, such as causing the chains to fall from Peter in prison and opening the prison doors.)


***

Concerning the Holy Spirit who lives in us ...

Jesus says:

John 14:26  But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, HE shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 

John 16:13    Howbeit when HE, the Spirit of truth, is come, HE will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and HE will shew you things to come.

*****